Thursday, March 22, 2012

Scrappy.


I got pretty sick this week. At first it was just a really bad sore throat and headaches. But then I completely lost my voice. There's nothing more frustrating then losing your voice as a missionary. I kept trying to teach but my voice just wouldn't allow it. Khmer is different then English because in English when you lose your voice you can just talk in a lower voice and it works out. Now that I've learned to speak Khmer clearly, I realize that its mostly spoken in the top of the throat, so when you lose your voice it's literally impossible to say 80 percent of the words. 

My illness ended up getting bad enough that they sent me to the hospital. I can usually work through being tired or sick but I just got hit too hard this time. They gave me some antibiotics and sent me on my way. 

I still wasn't really able to talk but we went out teaching anyway while I sported a surgical mask. But then I was walking to the church, lagging behind my companion, a moto with 3 people were speeding and hit me as they raced by. So I went flying. And, they went flying. Then there was a lot of crazy sounds. People slammed their brakes and started gathering around. I was flat on my back looking up with the wind knocked out of me.  I was very drowsy because of the medicine I was on so I just kind of got up. Brushed my pants off, and walked my bike in the church. Everyone kept coming up to me and asking me if I was ok. My companion saw me walking up, looked at my bike, and said, "What happened to you?!" I guess I'm fine. It was a lot like football practice.  One thing I do know is, the Lord protects his missionaries. Unfortunately my bike isn't exactly rideable for long distances because the back wheel isn't round anymore. The bike is now called Scrappy. My companion says its a musical bike because of all the sounds it makes when I ride.
Scrappy

The good news is, at the hospital they weighed me in at 180!  I'm pretty pumped about that. 

Other than that incident, this week has been great. I'm starting to get to know the members. Our Relief Society President is inactive so we went and met with her.  I really do love the people here. They are amazing in many ways.   And when we speak the language well, they love listening to us. 

We've been finding investigators and things are going good. 

The mission is sweet. I really love it. I go to bed every night completely exhausted and wake up every morning extremely excited for the day. 

Never been happier!

Elder Nelson

The game plan






No comments:

Post a Comment