Monday, October 15, 2012

Roaming Cambodia






Hey family,

Almost done with our road trip adventure. Right now, we're in Kampong Cham.  It's a province about 3 1/2 hours from Phnom Penh.  

It's been a wild week. In 5 days we worked with the zone leaders in 4 different provinces. It's a unique experience because we are able to see the entire mission, which is also the entire country! I've been able to work with a lot of the guys I was with at the MTC. Its AMAZING to see how far we've all come. I can still remember being in my first area with my MTC companion and moaning about how we'll never be any good at the language. Now, over a year later, we are seasoned missionaries speaking Cambodian up a storm! Super cool! 

I had the chance to go back to my first area, Siem Reap this week.  BY FAR one of my favorite days of the mission!  Some of the people I worked with there talked a lot about when I first came to the country I didn't know Khmer at all, but now I'm speaking very well. They thought it was super funny for some reason. They said I unfortunately lost my Siem Reap accent and I talk like a city person now. (I imagine its similar to the difference between a New York accent and a Southern accent). When we first got there, Poo Tre couldn't take me seriously. But that night we met with him. After we said the opening prayer I invited him to share a spiritual experience where he felt the love of God. We then continued to have a very spiritual lesson which ended with him committing to pray as a family every night. (That's a big deal because he and his wife were separated from each other for a while) and to go to church the next week. It was awesome. I can't wait for you guys to meet them. You'll absolutely love them.

Another cool experience: we had just finished a lesson in Battambong and started to leave. Before we left the Elders quorum president came up to me and asked me how to spell my name. He took a ball point pen and scribbled it on his hand. It was kind of awkward for a couple seconds because he just stood their smiling. Then suddenly he said, "Elder Nelson, I know that i have never met you before. This is my first time meeting you. But when I heard you teaching today it made me feel like I have known you for a very long time."  It was a very touching thing for him to say to me. I would love to serve in Battambong before the end of my mission. 

The stories could go on and on... But, we gotta go catch a bus. I'll be able to email again when I get back to the mission home but It will probably be pretty late for you!

I love you all with all of my heart!

Have a great week!!

Elder Nelson


No comments:

Post a Comment