Saturday, March 24, 2012

The few of the older generation are a pleasure to teach.



January 22, 2012 leter

The weeks are starting to go faster, but then again, they're not...

Whenever things start feeling easy or comfortable I start to fear that I'm plateauing. I strive to keep myself uncomfortable. This week I've been on a big cleaning binge. My companion keeps making fun of me because he said that I woke up last Wednesday, said my prayer, and sat up in my bed with a "serious yet angry" look on my face. I jumped out of bed and left the room. He said he was confused and a little scared. He thought ti was mad at him or something. He found me sweeping the doorway with a  serious look on my face. He has told that story everyday this week. But yeah, I've been focused on overall cleanliness, my companion likes the new goal. My mom's dream has come true.

So My companion and I have started to find some good success among the older people. Apparently this is rare because they tend to be set in their ways after surviving the Pol Pot nightmare. I don't know what it is, but they just really like us for some reason. I love talking to them. They have such interesting stories and insights on life. I always take the approach that I want to learn from their wisdom, and in turn, I can share about Jesus Christ. I ask them what the most important thing to have in this life, and the majority of the time they say "Good Health". They explain that if you are healthy, it doesn''t matter if you''re poor, lonely, out of work, beaten down, or having problems. If you have good health, you are still able to have a good life. Its so true. The more I think about that the more I agree.

A couple days ago I was talking to one of the older people and they gave me the good health routine. And I was totally in agreement. Good health is so important. And then I started to relate the concept of the health of our spirit. They LOVED the thought. The idea that we can have good health spiritually and that it is equally as important as good health physically interested them.  I then introduced Jesus Christ and talked about how he is the doctor of our spirits. And that through him we can be cleansed from guilt and sadness, and enjoy good spiritual health. One man agreed that it makes sense... And then I said. Sokh, do you think we could come back and teach you about our Savior Jesus Christ? He looked up with a smile and said ''at mian ei'' which means, "don''t have thing." In English: No problem!. I love the inspiration I have been entitled to receive. 

I love my mission. I go home every night exhausted and wake up every morning with a revived motivation to "seize the day". This life is amazing. I love it. I love the gospel, I love my Savior Jesus Christ. This morning we sang "How Great Thou Art" in our companionship study. We finished the second verse and I was able to feel the spirit so strong, it was overwhelming. It is by far my favorite hymn. I can picture that day so clearly in my head. To kneel at the feet of my Savior and exclaim, How great thou art! 

Everyone on earth is so lucky, whether the know it or not they have a loving Heavenly Father that blesses them so much everyday. 

I love you

Elder Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment