Friday, September 2, 2011

And, another week is on the books.




We had a different kind of week. Not as much proselyting. My companion was pretty sick so we were out of commission for a few days.  It was a little frustrating but we had some good talks and it was great for studying. My companion is really smart in the gospel and we enjoyed bouncing ideas off of each other. 

Our mission president had family visiting this past weekend. It is fun for us when he has family visit because they usually visit Siem Reap. President likes to take them teaching with the missionaries. I am lucky to be here because I’ve gotten to teach with the President twice.

The spirit he brings to lessons is amazing. He knows quite a bit of Khmer, but his example and his presence has helped us and our investigators this week. He loves the people that he is helping to teach, and the investigators can really feel it. That’s something I have been focusing on a lot lately. I want to have Charity when I am teaching but also in all other aspects in my life. It realize how important it is as a true disciple of Christ.

Ok, so let me tell you about a man named Hal. He has lived in Australia, New Zealand, and England. His accent is a little strange to me. He showed up at church randomly one Sunday. In our ward we usually get white, tourist visitors almost every week. But Hal was wearing a tank top and board shorts. Out of the ordinary even for tourists. He’s also a bit older, (hopefully I can send a picture home sometime.) But I remember thinking that first Sunday, oh boy, what do we have here?

Anyway, my companion usually translates for all visitors and after class we started talking more in depth with Hal about the Gospel. He said he once had a Mormon friend that he really respected.  He’s been interested in knowing more, but never really acted on it. So we set up a return appointment with him. My companion and I talked about it that night during our planning and we both agreed Hal probably wouldn’t be going anywhere soon, and that we should meet with him.

To make a long story short we had a very spiritual lesson with him. It ended with him in tears, saying the prayer, thanking his Heavenly Father for answering his prayer and guiding him to us. He called us by name in his prayer. And it was really touching. I mean REALLY touching.  The spirit was so strong. We've been meeting Hal pretty frequently now, and we truly believe he has been prepared by the Lord to receive the Gospel.

At times Hal can be a little different. Sometimes he starts comparing our meetings to a famous Australian song, and he scraped his arm on the fence to the church, and insisted that the Khmers had a remedy for it... Then, he sliced up a lime and put it on his arm. The whole lesson he insisted that it didn't hurt, but honestly I don't see how it didn’t.

Hal is odd, but he is a beloved son of our Heavenly Father. He is an honest seeker of truth, who Heavenly Father loves.
We feel like the Lord blessed us with him in our area. 

I love you all!

-Elder Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment